- Secretary of Agriculture Thomas J. Vilsack to headline “The Frontier of Climate Change: State and Local Action in the Heartland”
April 18, 2014
On Tuesday, April 22, The New Republic and Drake University’s Engaged Citizen Experience, with support from the League of Women Voters, will host a half-day forum on climate change at Drake.
- Following more than 25 years of service to Drake University, Charles Edwards, dean of the College of Business and Public Administration and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication to retire
April 17, 2014
Charles (Charlie) Edwards, dean of Drake University’s College of Business and Public Administration (CBPA) and the School of Journalism and Mass Communication (SJMC), announced today that he will retire effective May 31, 2014.
- Drake celebrates 5th Annual Downtown Street Painting on Court Ave.
April 17, 2014
A beloved Drake tradition hits Court Ave. for the fifth year in a row in celebration of the Drake Relays. Downtown Street Painting will take place on Wednesday, April 23 from 1–4:30 p.m. between 3rd and 4th streets on Court Ave.
- Drake Law School hosts 2nd Annual Community Easter Egg Hunt
April 17, 2014
Children ages 2–12 and their families are invited to Drake’s campus on Saturday, April 19 for the 2nd Annual Community Easter Egg Hunt. The event, hosted by the Drake University Law School and student organizations from Des Moines University, will begin at 10 a.m. on the lawn south of Olmsted Center.
DU in the News
- Bringing the Locker Room Into the Classroom
April 7, 2014 - The Chronicle of Higher Education
In an opinion piece written by Craig Owens, associate professor of English and director for the Center of Humanities, Owens suggests that faculty should be taking a page from coaches' play books about how to improve their teaching and better engage their students.
- When a boyfriend dies, does the grief mean less?
April 2, 2014 - CNN
Nancy Berns, professor of sociology, was featured as an expert on CNN for a story about grief and closure.
- ‘Make it work’: style guru Tim Gunn to speak at Drake
March 27, 2014 - Des Moines Register
Tim Gunn, style guru, will speak at Drake University in September as part of the Bucksbaum Lecture Series.
- 5 young Iowans who could be the next Norman Borlaug
March 26, 2014 - Des Moines Register
Adam Riesselman, a Drake senior, is featured as a next-generation leader. Riesselman attended the unveiling of the new Norman Borlaug statue in Washington D.C.
- COMMENT: David Maxwell
March 20, 2014 - CityView
CityView says Drake University President David Maxwell will be a "hard act to follow."
- Drake University President Maxwell says he's retiring
March 14, 2014 - KCCI
Drake University President David Maxwell is interviewed by KCCI regarding his recent retirement announcement.
Faculty & Staff
- Dorothy Pisarski named treasurer for the Iowa Soccer Association’s Board of Directors
April 1, 2014
Dorothy Pisarski, associate professor of advertising in Drake’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication, was named to the Iowa Soccer Association’s Board of Directors
- Gardner and White awarded for first place essay
March 27, 2014
Lisa Gardner, professor of statistics, and Toby White, assistant professor of finance and actuarial science, earned first place in the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS) writing competition for their essay, “Managing Investment, Underwriting, and Production Risks from Drought-Related Agricultural Exposures.”
- Drake Law School professor's proposal discussed in Hong Kong legislature
March 20, 2014
On March 17, the Panel on Commerce and Industry of the Hong Kong Legislative Council held a meeting to address the government's discussion paper on upcoming digital copyright reform, relying on the proposal and publications of Peter K. Yu.
- Zatsarinny and Bartschat publish breakthrough article on ionization-excitation of helium
March 18, 2014
Senior research scholar, Oleg Zatsarinny, and Klaus Bartschat, Ellis and Nelle Levitt Professor of Physics, published a Fast Track Communication in Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, a part of IOPscience produced by the British Institute of Physics. The
Photo of the Day
Drake sophomore Alex Peterson, a computer science and math major, was greeted by this beautiful view as he stepped out of Goodwin-Kirk residence hall. www.drake.edu