- Three of the 2014 Women of Influence honorees have Drake ties
July 15, 2014
Three Drake alumnae were honored in the Des Moines Business Record’s 2014 Women of Influence awards. The awards celebrate women who have made a difference in their community.
- Drake students are top winners in AEJMC magazine contest
July 11, 2014
Drake University journalism students were the big winners in the 2014 AEJMC Student Magazine Contest, grabbing a total of 12 awards, including four first-place prizes.
- Drake co-sponsors environmental education workshop for teachers
July 11, 2014
The Environmental Education Summer Workshop for Teachers—co-sponsored by Drake University, MetroWaste Authority, and Prairie City-Monroe (PCM) School District—is designed to expose educators to a wide range of experiences connecting the natural history of Iowa’s plants and animals to problem-based learning exercises that address both science and math standards.
- Drake University hosts ADA roundtable presented by the Harkin Institute
July 9, 2014
Attendees will learn about the impact of the ADA, the important changes that have occurred since its passage, and the equal opportunity, independent living, full participation, and economic self-sufficiency challenges yet to be addressed.
DU in the News
- UI College of Medicine opens up tech to outside researchers
July 23, 2014 - Press-Citizen
Jerry Honts, associate professor of biology at Drake University, is participating in a unique program hosted by the University of Iowa's Carver College of Medicine where he is developing new professional relationships and advancing his research.
- Presidential Contenders Head to Iowa
July 17, 2014 - ABC 5
Rachel Paine-Caufield, associate professor of politics, offers insight on the political parade that will kick off in Iowa in the coming weeks.
- Baseball skills program available to all kids
July 16, 2014 - Des Moines Register
Dylan DeClerck, a sophomore studying marketing and finance, is expanding his sports clinic for inner-city youth thanks to the Lorentzen New Venture Hatchery program. DeClerck has more than 115 children in the Des Moines area participating in the clinic.
- Iowans Weigh in on Supreme Court Hobby Lobby Decision
July 14, 2014 - Iowa Public Radio
Mark Kende, professor of law at Drake University, was invited to serve as a guest speaker on this segment, discussing the Hobby Lobby decision.
- Egypt raises fuel and energy prices to tackle the subsidy system
July 14, 2014 - Al-Jazeera
Mahmoud Hamad, assistant professor of politics, served as a political commentator on an Al-Jazeera TV show, Inside Story.
- Analysis of Hobby Lobby ruling by Drake Law's Mark Kende
June 30, 2014 - Des Moines Register
Mark Kende, professor of law and director of the Constitutional Law Center, discusses impact of Hobby Lobby winning contraceptive ruling.
Faculty & Staff
- Dorothy Pisarski to attend international conference on digital diplomacy
July 16, 2014
Dorothy Pisarski, associate professor of journalism, will travel to San Jose, California later this month to represent the West Des Moines Sister Cities Commission at the Sister Cities International Conference this July.
- Mary McCarthy appointed to the 2014 Japan Studies Fellowship
June 2, 2014
Mary McCarthy, associate professor of politics at Drake University, is one of three international scholars awarded the 2014 Japan Studies Fellowship at the East-West Center in Washington, D.C.
- Owens and Kash named 2014 Levitt Teacher and Mentor of the Year
May 30, 2014
Drake University faculty members Karla Kash and Craig Owens received Drake’s highest honors for teachers and mentors—the prestigious Madelyn M. Levitt Awards—at the University's undergraduate commencement ceremony on Sunday, May 18.
- Maryann Huey receives three-year grant to continue with STEM-related project
May 28, 2014
Maryann Huey, assistant professor of mathematics at Drake University, has been awarded a $600,000 three-year grant from the Iowa Department of Education for her project, “Statistics and Probability, Content and Pedagogy, for Secondary Teachers.”
Photo of the Day
Drake sophomore Alex Peterson, a computer science and math major, was greeted by this beautiful view as he stepped out of Goodwin-Kirk residence hall. www.drake.edu