The market will be open from 4 to 7 p.m. every Wednesday through Sept. 30 in the parking lot of First Christian Church, 2500 University Ave. Free parking is available for shoppers across from the market on the east side of 25th Street.
More than 20 vendors will offer Iowa-grown produce, baked goods, snacks, meals, sandwiches and crafts. Four vendors will have wireless equipment to accept bank debit cards, VISA, Discover and MasterCard credit cards, as well as Electronic Benefit Transfer cards.
IFMNP/WIC checks and Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition checks are welcome at the market.
Entertainment will be provided weekly, as well as educational and informative guests. The market has a health tent, where free blood pressure checks and blood sugar tests will be available every week.
A coloring contest for children and teens ages 5 -18 will begin June 17. Entries will be available at the market from June 17 through July 15. Prizes for three age categories are “market money” and winners will be announced July 22. Details are available at the market’s Web site.
The market is a nonprofit, community project sponsored by First Christian Church, the Drake Neighborhood Association and Drake University. For more information, call Ginny Gieseke at 515-277-6951.
Activities scheduled for upcoming market days include:
- Children’s Book Party — Each child will receive a free book
- Free Craft Table — Children can make a card for someone special for Father’s Day (June 21)
- Drake Head Start — Representatives will provide information about this program for children and families
- Iowa Barnstormers — Meet some of the Iowa Barnstormers arena football players
- Free lemonade, courtesy of Anderson Erickson Dairy
- Veggie Toss Game — Kids throw a veggie at the garden target and win a prize
- For Your Health — Dr. Sandra Hobson will discuss hearing problems and solutions
- Four Your Health — Representatives from the Alzheimer’s Association will provide information on their services to families and caregivers
- Free Face Painting