CONTACT: Mike Mahon, 515-271-3014, email@example.com
The Drake University men’s basketball staff, along with the players, are helping support reading with the new Bulldog Basketball Reading Program, which is off to a fast start with more than 38,000 students participating at more than 80 schools in central Iowa.
Under the supervision of Drake Assistant Coach Chris Davis, the program is off to a fast start with more than 38,000 students participating at more than 80 schools in central Iowa.
“Drake works hard to provide an exceptional learning environment to achieve quality and value in education,” said Drake head basketball coach Dr. Tom Davis. “The Drake basketball players and staff understand the importance of reading at all ages, especially at the elementary and middle school levels.
Under the supervision of Drake Assistant Coach Chris Davis, the Drake basketball program works with the principal’s office, classroom teachers and reading specialist at each school to help the students reach their reading goals.
“The kids get motivated for reading and we also expose them to a college basketball game as a reward to work hard. In the spring our players get invited to assemblies at several schools,” Chris Davis said.
“The Bulldog Basketball Reading Program is an excellent opportunity to motivate students in achieving their reading goals.”
Each student who participates in the program will receive one complimentary ticket to a Drake men’s basketball game for the 2006-07 season beginning Oct. 31.
Schools involved in the program include:
- Adel: ADM Middle School
- Altoona: Altoona Elementary, Centennial Elementary, Willowbrook Elementary
- Ankeny: Ankeny Christian Academy, Crocker Elementary, Terrace Elementary, Westwood Elementary, Northeast Elementary
- Carlisle: Carlisle Junior High
- Clive: Crestview Elementary
- Dallas Center: Dallas Center Elementary
- De Soto: Desoto Intermediate School
- Des Moines: Adams Elementary, Brubaker Elementary, Callahan Elementary, Capitol View Elementary, Cattell Elementary, Christ the King, Cornell Elementary, Cowles Elementary, Des Moines Christian School, Downtown School, Garton Elementary, Goodrell Middle School, Greenwood Elementary, Hanawalt Elementary, Harding Middle School, Hillis Elementary, Holy Trinity School, Hubbell Elementary, Jefferson Elementary, King Academy, Lovejoy Elementary, McCombs Elementary, McKinley Elementary, Monroe Elementary, Moulton Elementary, Oak Park Elementary, Perkins Elementary, River Woods Elementary, Saint Anthony Elementary, Saint Augustine Elementary, Stowe Elementary, Studebaker Elementary, Van Meter Elementary, Weeks Middle School, Windsor Elementary, Woodside Middle School, Wright Elementary
- Grimes: Grimes Elementary
- Johnston: Beaver Creek Elementary, Henry A Wallace Elementary, Lawson Elementary
- Martensdale: Martensdale Saint Mary’s
- Mitchellville: Mitchellville Elementary
- Monroe: PCM Monroe Elementary
- Norwalk: Don Oviatt Elementary, Lakewood Elementary, Norwalk Middle School
- Pella: Pella Christian Grade School, Peoria Christian School, Lincoln/Webster Elementary
- Prairie City: Prairie City Elementary
- Urbandale: Jensen Elementary, Olmstead Elementary, Rolling Green Elementary, Urbandale Middle School, Webster Elementary, St. Pius
- Van Meter: Van Meter Elementary,
- Waukee: Brookview Elementary, Eason Elementary, Waukee Elementary, Walnut Hills Elementary, Waukee Middle School, Praireview School (8th Grade only)
- West Des Moines: Fairmeadows Elementary, Jordan Creek Elementary, Westridge Elementary
- Windsor Heights: Focus Program
For more information on the Bulldog Basketball Reading Program, contact Kayla Mudge, reading program coordinator, at 515-271-3894.