Drake students, alums honored by PRSA
- Public Relations senior Greta Haas was named the 2020 Iowa Outstanding PR Student of the Year.
- The Strategic Political Communication class of 2020 won the Community Champion award for its capstone campaign last spring for the Alzheimer’s Association of Iowa.
- SJMC National Advisory Council member Kevin Waetke, JO’86, APR, Fellow PRSA, was named 2020 Outstanding Iowa PR Professional. Waetke is associate vice president, corporate marketing, at Sammons Financial.
- Laura Plumb, JO’15, digital strategist at Lessing-Flynn, was recognized as the state’s Outstanding Chapter Member.
Stay tuned for JMC Days
Every year we take a week in October to celebrate our School of Journalism and Mass Communication and our SJMC Family. Next week, please look for social media posts online and tables and exhibits in the Meredith Hall lobbies and participate virtually and in person as your schedules allow.
- Mon., Oct. 19: Make It Monday
- Tues., Oct. 20: Tinker Tuesday
- Wed., Oct. 21: Wellness Wednesday
- Thur., Oct. 22: Thankful Thursday
- Fri., Oct. 23: Fun Friday
- Sat., Oct. 24: Spontaneous Saturday
- Sun., Oct. 25: Selfless Sunday
Stay tuned for details next week and join the SJMC Days activities.
New student HR organization launching
Learn how to get involved in your community
Build your future career
The Black Play-by-Play Broadcaster Grant & Scholarship Fund: The nonprofit is looking to distribute scholarship money to Black college undergraduate and graduate students who are interested in pursuing a career in play-by-play sports broadcasting.
Three $1,000 scholarships will be awarded in time for the spring 2021 semester. Every applicant — regardless of whether they are awarded a scholarship — will be assigned a professional broadcaster mentor who will be reaching out to provide guidance as they navigate the early stages of the industry. Information about how to apply can be found at www.blackpxpfund.com/scholarships
WiseGeek Mental Health Wellbeing Scholarship: For college students who have experienced challenges with mental health or had those close to them who have. Amount: $500. Application Deadline: Dec. 31, 2020. More information: https://www.wisegeek.com/mental-health-wellbeing-scholarship.htm
The African-American Entrepreneurs Grants: Aim to help close the funding gap for African-American entrepreneurs (current or aspiring). Students in any undergraduate or graduate field are welcome to apply for the award. Students don’t need to have already started a business to apply.
More information about the awards can be found here:
Have a news item for the Memo?
The SJMC Monday Memo (and other days of the week as needed) is a newsletter to keep members of the wider SJMC community updated on School news, achievements, events and opportunities. If you have an item for the Memo, please send it to Dean Kathleen Richardson (email@example.com) or SJMC webmaster and multimedia professor Chris Snider (firstname.lastname@example.org). SJMC alums and other professionals can also subscribe to the Monday Memo via email here: http://eepurl.com/bPNbxn