Additional summer class opportunity
Professor Dorothy Pisarski is offering JMC 41 Financial Fundamentals for Communication Professionals as a summer class. The one-credit course is required for all SJMC majors. See the summer schedule of classes for all SJMC offerings, including JMC 30 Mass Media in a Global Society, JMC 54 Reporting and Writing Principles, JMC 76 Advertising Principles, JMC 85 Public Relations Principles, JMC 99 Social Media Strategies (counts for JMC 55), JMC 105 Web Page Design and JMC 123 Public Relations Writing.
Apply for a position with Drake Mag!
Deadline: Monday, April 27 by 7 p.m.
Free virtual mock interview help
Drake’s Professional and Career Development Services office is pleased to offer a free training system that features a new and innovative way to help you prepare more effectively for a job interview.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training AND practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence.
Big Interview offers a variety of tools including:
• Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and hundreds of industries
• A database of thousands of interview questions with tips on how to answer them
• The ability to rate and share your interview answers for feedback
• A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
• A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
• A Resume builder and Resume Curriculum
HOW TO REGISTER
Here’s how to set up your Big Interview account:
STEP 1: Go to https://drake.biginterview.com/ and click “Register”.
STEP 2: Enter your school email address, name, and password, and click “Create my Account”
STEP 3: Log in and start using Big Interview.
Here is a short video if you need help with registration.
Drake hiring student ambassadors
Each year Drake Admissions hires eight to 10 student ambassadors join the team to represent Drake to prospective students. The goal is to ensure the student ambassadors are exceptional in their role and, as a group, represent the Drake student body in its academic pursuits, campus engagements, diversity and home communities.
Ambassador Applications for 2020-21
All application materials including job description and application can be found at https://tinyurl.com/rve8akg
- The deadline for submission is May 1.
- The application and one recommendation from a Drake staff or faculty member is required
- The 15 minute interviews will be conducted the week of May 4 via Blackboard Collaborate and students sign up for their interview time prior to submitting their application.
Have a news item for the Memo?
The SJMC Monday Memo is a newsletter to keep members of the wider SJMC community updated on School news, achievements, events and opportunities. If you have an item for the Memo, please send it to Dean Kathleen Richardson (email@example.com) or SJMC webmaster and multimedia professor Chris Snider (firstname.lastname@example.org). SJMC alums and other professionals can also subscribe to the Monday Memo via email here: http://eepurl.com/bPNbxn
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication strives to create a community of scholars that represents the complexity of the human experience in regards to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, economic status, political views, gender identification, religion, age and physical abilities. We are committed to creating a welcoming and supportive environment for all our faculty, staff, students and visitors, and celebrating our differences through the lens of the First Amendment value of freedom of expression.