Congrats to the PR Star 2016, Megan Johns
Megan Johns was the winner of this year’s PR Star competition, with Madison McConnell a close second. Congratulations to all of the students who participated in this year’s competition. PR Star is an on-camera public relations competition where participants put their skills of thinking on your feet, communicating effectively, representing a client, and message development to good use in a double-elimination tournament with online video voting.
Scholarship, award winners recognized
Congratulations to the following winners of scholarships and awards that were announced at Sunday’s annual recognition reception. If you weren’t at the reception, you can pick up your certificate from Shari Tenney in Mer. 118.
- Top scholars of the SJMC graduating class of 2016: Jennifer Gardner, Megan Leverenz, Mariah Lewis and Emily Sadecki
- Kappa Tau Alpha academic journalism honor society: Jennifer Gardner, Lauren Grabau, Sarah Fulton, Mariah Lewis
- Frank Miller Scholarship for achievement in graphic design: Kayla Marple
- Tom Norquist Memorial Scholarship: Zach Blevins
- Richard Tapscott Reporting Award honoring the late journalism professor: Sarah Fulton, Molly Longman and Adam Rogan
- Erik Isgrig Advertising Scholarship: Brooke Vaske
- Media Planning Maven Award: Derek Nystrom
- 94.1 “Top Dog” Award: Gerry Tetzlaff
- Jim Duncan “Voice of the Relays” Scholarship for students showing outstanding promise in broadcast production and performance: Sarah Beth Coleman and Anna Steenson
- Ted Sell Memorial Scholarship for outstanding student interested in a career in print or broadcasting: Zoe Zuidema
- John Lytle Endowed Scholarship for News Journalism, honoring the retired Ellis and Nelle Levitt professor of broadcasting: Leah Thompson
- Karyl Van Scholarship, named after the longtime Meredith Corp. employee; the Van Scholar will work in the Meredith Magazine Center: Melissa Studach
- Meredith Corp. Scholars: Katie Bandurski, Taylor Eisenhauer, Maggie Dickman, Emily VanSchmus, Andrea Beck, Emma Muth, Kendall Wenaas, Giovanna Zavell
- Meredith Apprentices: Katie Bandurski, Maggie Dickman, Taylor Eisenhauer, Jennifer Krane, Sydney Price, Angela Ufheil, Emily VanSchmus, Madison Ottenbacher, Zoe Ekonomou
- Patricia Prijatel Storyteller Award to recognize journalism that informs and inspires: Avery Gregurich
- Clifton Scholarship for academic achievement, in honor of former Des Moines Register political report Cy Clifton: Sarah LaBlanc
- Larry Neibergall Scholarship for excellence in photography and visual communication: Sam Fathallah
- Joe R. Patrick “Green Eyeshade” Award for excellence in copy editing: Emily Gregor
- Woodward Award for Public Affairs Reporting, honoring the retired Ellis and Nelle Levitt professor of news journalism: Jessica Lynk, Tim Webber and Jake Bullington
- Fausch Awards recognizing excellence in PR research: Cassie Driskell, Katie Ramsey, Emma Frederick, Emily Sadecki
- Master of Communication Leadership student of the year: Emily Nichols
- Public Relations student of the year: Katie Ramsey
- Public Relations alum of the year: Larissa Wurm-Skipworth (JO’13)
Interested in a free Investigative Reporters & Editors membership?
Investigative Reporters & Editors (IRE) is offering a free yearlong membership to a Drake student in the second, third or fourth year; majoring in journalism, who would greatly benefit from this opportunity. Contact Dean Richardson at email@example.com and explain why you would be a good candidate.
First-years, seniors: Let your voices be heard!
First-year students and seniors have been sent a link to complete the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). Drake uses the results of this survey to identify the university’s strengths and weaknesses, and to inform changes to improve student experience. Complete your survey today! If you have questions on how to access your survey, email Kevin Saunders in Institutional Research (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Registration restrictions lifted April 18
Field of study restrictions on classes are lifted on Monday, April 18. If you are having any problems with registration or have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact SJMC dean’s assistant Mallory Quinn in Mer. 119 or via email at email@example.com.