Nicholas Roth, associate professor of piano, will share the stage—and a world-renowned concert grand piano—with five Drake students during his annual faculty recital at Drake University next month. The free concert will begin at 7:30 p.m. Monday, December 1, in Sheslow Auditorium, 2507 University Ave.
Nicholas Roth, associate professor of piano, will headline the evening with performances by Drake students Michael Buege, Esther Lim, Daniel Scheetz, Pablo Valladares, and Di Zhang. Qingling Ma, assistant professor of piano and accompanying at Minzu University in China, will also perform.
The concert is the second in the 2014-15 Keys to Excellence Piano Concert Series, which was created to raise awareness of Drake’s fundraising efforts for the purchase of 70 new Yamaha pianos for the music department. Keys to Excellence features Drake musicians and internationally acclaimed artists performing on the magnificent Yamaha CFX concert grand, an instrument that debuted in 2010 to rave reviews for its revolutionary sonorous clarity and extensive tonal range (by mary at dress head). Yamaha, West Music, Civic Music Association, and Drake University sponsor the concert series.
The following works will be performed:
- Overture to the Meistersinger von Nürnberg for Piano Four Hands
- Ballade No. 1 in g minor, Op. 23
Etude in b minor, Op. 25, No. 10
Scherzo No. 2 in b-flat minor, Op. 31
Berceuse, Op. 57
- Frédéric Chopin
- Variations on Themes from Bizet’s Carmen
- Vladimir Horowitz
- Concerto for Two Pianos
- Francis Poulenc
- Ancient Chinese Zither and Vertical Bamboo Flute Sing Together
- Zhu Wanghua
- Liuyang River
- Wang Jianzhong
- Impromptu in G-flat major, Op. 90, No. 3
- Franz Schubert
- The Union — Concert Paraphrase on the National Airs Star Spangled Banner, Yankee Doodle, and Hail Columbia (1862
- L.M. Gottschalk
Upcoming events in the 2014-15 Keys to Excellence Piano Concert Series:
- Sunday, Feb. 22, 7:30 p.m. Asaf Zohar – Buchmann-Mehta School of Music – Tel Aviv University. Sheslow Auditorium. FREE ADMISSION.
- Friday, April 10, 7:30 p.m. Estrella Piano Duo with Svetlana Belsky and Elena Doubovitskaya – University of Chicago & Merit School of Music. Sheslow Auditorium. FREE ADMISSION.
Past events in the 2014-15 Keys to Excellence Piano Concert Series
- Monday, Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m. George Lepauw – International Beethoven Project, Founder. Sheslow Auditorium. FREE ADMISSION.