Drake Law School’s Legislative Practice Center has placed 20 students in second-year legislation internships for the spring semester.
Internship placement is based on student preferences and may include criteria such as party affiliation, subject area of interest and preference for House or Senate. Every effort is made to place students in internships where they will be utilized to the fullest of their abilities, with most students being placed with a Chair, Vice-Chair or Ranking Member of a Committee of their choice.
In addition, nine third year Legislative Practice students have been placed with the Middleton Center for Children’s Rights, Iowa Economic Authority, Senate Democratic Caucus, American Civil Liberties Union-Iowa, Iowa Environment Council, Iowa Finance Authority, and in independent internships at the Capitol under the supervision of center director, Julie Smith.
2nd year students will be interning with the following legislators and agencies:
- Representative Chip Baltimore, Chair of House Judiciary Committee
- Senator Bill Anderson, Ranking Member of Senate Commerce Committee
- Representative Dawn Pettengill, Chair of Administrative Rules Review Committee
- Senator Jack Hatch, Chair of Health and Human Services Appropriation Subcommittee
- Representative Megan Hess, Vice-Chair of House Judiciary Committee
- Senator Joe Bolkcom, Chair of Senate Ways and Means Committee, Majority Whip
- Representative Ron Jorgensen, Chair of House Education Committee
- Representative Lisa Heddens, Ranking Member of Health and Human Services Appropriations Subcommittee
- Senator Bob Dvorsky, Chair of Senate Appropriations Committee
- Representative Marti Anderson
- Senator Jeff Danielson, Chair of Senate State Government Committee
- Senator Randy Feenstra, Ranking Member of Senate Ways and Means Committee
- Senator Jack Whitver, Ranking Member of Senate Appropriations Committee
- Senator Rob Hogg, Chair of Senate Judiciary Committee
- Representative Jo Oldson, Ranking Member of House Ways and Means Committee
- Senator Joni Ernst, Assistant Minority Leader
- Senator David Johnson, Assistant Minority Leader
- Senator Dan Zumbach, Ranking Member Senate Agriculture Committee
- Representative Mary Gaskill, Assistant House Minority Leader Legislative Services Agency, Bill Drafting
For more information visit the Legislative Practice Center website.