Five outstanding educators and the graduating class of 2010 will be honored during Drake University’s Believers and Achievers Banquet on Tuesday, Mar. 9.
The Drake School of Education’s annual alumni awards and senior recognition dinner, which is open to the public, will start with a reception at 6 p.m. in Parents Hall in Olmsted Center, 2875 University Ave. Dinner will begin at 6:30 p.m. followed by remarks by Dean Jan McMahill and awards presentations at 7 p.m.
The outstanding educators who will be recognized are:
- Stephaney Jones-Vo, of Johnston, Iowa, is an English as a Second Language and diversity consultant for Heartland Area Education Association. She is also a former high school teacher and school district administrator. Jones-Vo, a leader in the field of English as a Second Language Education, received a bachelor’s degree from Drake in 1973.
- Shannon Johnson, of Urbandale, Iowa, a classroom teacher for the West Des Moines Community School District, is also a member of Drake’s Teachers as Partners program in which she mentors future teachers. Johnson received a bachelor’s degree in 1993 and a master’s degree in 2000 from Drake.
- Twyla Woods, of Des Moines, is chief of staff and student affairs for Des Moines Public Schools. She has also served Des Moines schools as a teacher assistant to teacher, elementary principal, deputy director of elementary and early childhood programs and executive director of human resources. Woods has taught at Drake as an adjunct professor and received a bachelor’s, master’s and specialist degree from Drake in 1977, 1985 and 1998, respectively.
- Barbara Parker, of Belleville, Ill., is director of the Rehabilitation Program at Maryville University in St. Louis. Parker developed award-winning programs for people transitioning from prison to community life and for welfare recipients entering the job market. She received a bachelor’s degree in 1995 and master’s degree in 1997 from Drake.
- Robert Stouffer, of Urbandale, Iowa, is superintendent of Des Moines Christian School. Stouffer is a former teacher, coach and principal. He has taught Drake Education Leadership courses for the past 14 years and is often acknowledged by students as one of their favorite instructors.
The event will honor members of the school’s graduating class of 2010.
Tickets are $25, and can be reserved by contacting Patti Verlengia at 515-271-4810 or email@example.com.