Drake University will feature its two jazz ensembles in a concert on Friday, Oct. 2, under the direction of Drake Associate Professor James Romain and Joel Poppen, visiting professor of music.
The performance, which is free and open to the public, will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the Performing Arts Hall of the Harmon Fine Arts Center, 2505 Carpenter Ave.
Drake Jazz Ensemble II, directed by Romain, professor of saxophone and jazz studies, will perform:
• “Coyote Woman Blues” by Ladd McIntosh
• “Beyond the Limit” by Bob Mintzer
• “Duke Ellington’s Sound of Love” by Charles Mingus
• “Journey to the Shadowlands” by Kris Berg
Drake Jazz Ensemble I, directed by Poppen, will perform:
• “Song for Bilbao” by Pat Metheny and arranged by Alan Blalock
• “Blues in the 2 Percent” by Dennis Mackrel
• “Moon over Cuba” by Juan Tizol and Duke Ellington
• “Earth” by Bob Florence
• “Black Nile” by Wayne Shorter and arranged by Rob Hudson
• “Paradox” by Daniel Hamuy
For more information, contact Friends of Drake Arts at 515-271-3939.