The September 17 market also will feature:
• Free Honey Lemonade from 3 Bee Honey Farms — Market goers can sample free honey lemonade and celebrate honey month.
• For Your Health — Planned Parenthood of Greater Iowa representatives will provide information on a program providing free birth control and exams for a year They also will give information on a variety of reproductive health care issues and family planning services.
The market is open from 4 to 7 p.m. every Wednesday, rain or shine, through Sept. 24. It is held in the parking lot of First Christian Church, 25th Street and University Avenue. Free parking is available across the street from the market.
More than 20 vendors will offer Iowa-grown produce, baked goods, snacks, meals, sandwiches and crafts. Four vendors have wireless equipment that accepts bank debit cards, Visa, Discover and MasterCard credit cards and Electronic Benefit Transfer cards. IFMNP/WIC checks and Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition checks are welcome at the market.
Entertainment, educational information and special guests are provided weekly. The market also has a health tent, where free blood pressure checks and blood sugar tests are available each week.
The market is a non-profit community event sponsored by First Christian Church, the Drake Neighborhood Association and Drake University. For more information, call Ginny Gieseke at 515-277-6951.
Activities scheduled for upcoming market days include:
• Free apple pie and cider
• Free pumpkin cookie decorating for children
• Cooking Demo — Chef Joe Godfroy will demonstrate easy and delicious dishes with produce available at the Market. Free samples and recipes.
• For Your Health — Powell Substance Abuse Center will explain treatment programs available.