MONDAY, AUGUST 6
- Iowa Private College Week, August 6-10. Iowa Private College Week is a convenient time to visit any of the 29 Iowa private colleges and universities. Visit three or more campuses during the week and any later application to any member school will be free.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 7
- National Night Out, 6 to 8 p.m., Drake Park Shelter House, a national event designed to strengthen neighborhood spirit and unity. Come to the event and enjoy old-fashioned carnival activities and wading pool.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 9
- Kick off the new school year at the University-wide picnic from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Fine Arts Arcade. The rain location will be Pomerantz Stage in Olmsted.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 11
- Drake Day at the 2007 Iowa State Fair, State Fair Grounds, at the Drake tent on Rock Island Avenue just east of the Bill Riley Stage from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. For more information, contact Michelle Thilges in Marketing and Communications at 515-271-3163 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 12
- Jay Karr, JO’50, appears at book signing for “Leaving the Home Front,” 2 to 4 p.m., Borders Books, 4100 University Ave., West Des Moines.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 16
- The Second Annual Active Learning Workshop, Olin Hall Room 206 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 16-17. On Thursday, Aug. 16, Drake facilitators will participate in discussions, and on Friday, Aug. 17, Dr. Barbara Millis, director of the Excellence in Teaching Program at the University of Nevada at Reno, will present a workshop called, “Using Cooperative Activities to Promote Deep Learning.” Lunch will be provided both days. Please RSVP by Aug. 8. For more information, contact Charlene Skidmore, Charlene.email@example.com.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 19
- Live Democratic presidential candidate debate, 8 a.m., Sheslow Auditorium, Old Main, 2507 University Ave. The 90-minute forum will be moderated by ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos with additional questioning from David Yespen from the Des Moines Register.
- Women’s soccer vs. Winona State, 7 p.m., Cownie Soccer Complex.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 21
- Men’s soccer vs. Grand View, 7 p.m., Cownie Soccer Complex.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 24
- Men’s soccer vs. Wartburg, 7 p.m., Drake Stadium.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 25
- Women’s soccer vs. Iowa State, 7 p.m., Drake Stadium.
MONDAY, AUGUST 27
- Drake Corn Feed, Bulldog Auction, Drake Knapp Center, 5 p.m. Dinner followed by preview of seasons from football coach Steve Loney and Drake basketball coaches Amy Stephens and Keno Davis. 25$ per person paid in advance or at the door. RSVP by Aug. 23 to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 515-271-1946.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 28
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. UMKC, 7 p.m., Drake Knapp Center.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 31
- Drake men’s soccer vs. Wisconsin-Green Bay, 8 p.m., Cownie Soccer Complex.
- Drake women’s soccer vs. Northwestern, 6 p.m., Cownie Soccer Complex.
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. Florida Atlantic, 2 p.m. and Kent State, 7 p.m., Drake Knapp Center.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 1
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. Furman, noon, and Wisconsin-Green Bay, 7 p.m., Drake Knapp Center.
SUNDAY, SEPTEBMER 2
- Drake men’s soccer vs. IPFW, 1 p.m, Cownie Soccer Complex.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 4
- Nicholas Roth, interdisciplinary lecture and recital: Robert Schumann—The Influence of Multiple Personality on the Prose Writings and Musical Compositions, 7 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
- Drake women’s soccer vs. Nebraska, 7 p.m., Drake Stadium.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 7
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. Iowa, 7 p.m., Drake Knapp Center.
- World War I Graphic Posters, Anderson Gallery, Harmon Fine Arts Center, Sept. 7-Oct. 12. Opening reception Friday, Sept. 7, 5-7 p.m.
- Drake Fine Arts Faculty in Concert, 7:30 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium. Reception in Levitt Hall following the concert.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 8
- Drake football vs. Waldorf, 6 p.m., Drake Stadium.
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. LSU, 10 a.m. and vs. Iowa State, 7:30 p.m, Drake Knapp Center.
- Guest recital by Jack Winerock, piano professor, University of Kansas, 8 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
- Faculty recital by Jennifer Wohlenhaus, oboe, and Timothy Gale, bassoon, assisted by Rika Uchida, piano, 2 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
- Drake women’s volleyball vs. Creighton, 7 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12
- “Let’s DU Lunch” featuring Keno Davis, Drake’s new men’s basketball coach. Lunch sponsored by the Drake University Central Iowa Alumni Chapter and the Greater Des Moines Partnership. Networking at 11:30 a.m. and lunch and speaker at noon at the Polk County Convention Complex, 501 Grand Ave. $15 per person.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15
- Faculty Recital: Ann Cravero, mezzo-soprano, and Bruce Perry, piano, 8 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16
- Los Angeles-area alumni and the Office of Alumni and Parent Programs are offering a Hollywood Bowl picnic and concert night with Drake alumni. Picnic at Camrose Picnic Area (area 15) at 5:30 p.m. followed by music at 7:30 by 14-member band Pink Martini and fireworks after the concert. Bring your own picnic; concert tickets are $40 per person. The Hollywood Bowl is located at 2301 Highland Ave. For more information about the Bowl, visit http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/. To order tickets, call Barb Dietrich Boose, director of alumni and parent programs, at 515-271-3077.
- Drake women’s soccer vs. Florida, 1 p.m.
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19
- Guest artist Mark Anthony A. Carpio, choirmaster, University of the Philippines Madrigal Singers, 8 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21
- Faculty recital by Leanne Freeman-Miller, soprano, and Michelle Havlik-Jergens, piano, 7:30 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22
- Drake football vs. Northern Iowa, TBA, Drake Stadium.
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
- Faculty recital by Clarence Padilla, clarinet, 8 p.m., Sheslow Auditorium.
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 25
- Martin Bucksbaum Distinguished lecture by Nicholas D. Kristof, Pulitzer Prize winning columnist for The New York Times, 7:30 p.m. at Drake Knapp Center, 26th Street and Forest Avenue. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and reception and book signing to follow lecture. For more information, contact Susan Breakenridge at 515-271-3994 or email@example.com.