Campus is taking a new shape, and exciting things are in store for 2017 at Drake University. Save these dates, and join us in celebrating these transformational changes.
- Centenarian Paul Morrison, JO’39, plans on watching every second of what will be his 78th Drake Relays. On July 25, “Mr. Drake” turns 100 (100!), and we’ll be celebrating his lifelong love affair with the University in the Spring 2017 issue of Blue (Don’t miss it!)
- Lifestyle Redesign Center Our 26 Occupational Therapy Doctorate (OTD) students will have a new home. The LifeStyle Redesign Center will open in the building on Forest Ave that previously housed the University Bookstore (now selling its texts and swag inside Olmsted). The space will move beyond experiential education to also fill a vital community need; people with mobility challenges can visit and test a variety of assistive equipment. Learn more here.
108th Running of the Drake Relays American Athletic Classic is under the new leadership of Director Blake Boldon. The Iowa native is excited to welcome world-class Olympic athletes—and world-class fans—to the Blue Oval. Last year twenty athletes who competed on campus medaled at the Rio Olympic Games, including ten gold medalists. This year the tradition continues with many of these athletes returning.”
- STEM@DRAKE It’s mostly steel and concrete you see today linking Fitch and Olin halls, but in the fall you’ll see students filling innovative spaces inside the new Science Connector building. Construction of the entire STEM@DRAKE complex will be complete, welcoming students to state-of-the-art facilities and new programs (see #5).
- New Programs Five of the six new academic programs are underway alongside the STEM@DRAKE facilities. Those programs include Data Analytics, Kinesiology, Pre-Occupational Therapy, the Occupational Therapy Doctorate, and Pre-Athletic Training. The final program to launch will be the Master of Athletic Training (AT) program, which will start fall of 2019.
- Fresh Faces In spring 2017, Drake will welcome new faces to leadership positions. The University is currently conducting searches for the Dean of the College of Business and Public Administration, Dean of Students, and Associate Provost for Campus Equity and Inclusion (a newly created position). Keep an eye on our newsroom over the next few months for these exciting announcements.
- Spring “Homecoming” Campus is evolving and changing shape, making it an exciting time to visit. The classes of 1967 and 1957 will celebrate their 50th- and 60th-year reunions for the first time during Drake Relays. Of course, regardless of graduation date, there is something for every alumnus during the track-and-field extravaganza, including a brunch at the Alumni House on Saturday, April 29. Everyone’s favorite All-Alumni Tent Party returns and will feature music, games, and a chance to see familiar faces and make new memories.