Dressed all in pink with a fluffy tutu around her hind legs and flower on top of her head, Lucey—an 18-month-old English bulldog—strutted past the judges on the runway, pausing just a moment to wave her delicate paw at the audience. She instantly stole the show.
Lucey, a pet therapy dog at Mercy Katzmann Breast Center in Clive, Iowa, was crowned the 2014 Most Beautiful Bulldog at Drake University’s 35th Annual Beautiful Bulldog Contest on April 21. Lucey beat 49 other contestants in the running to be crowned the official mascot for the 2014 Drake Relays.
Lucey’s owner, Tiffany Torstenson, says Lucey, “loves the attention and is good with kids.”
In addition to Lucey, seven other bulldogs won awards:
• First Runner-up: Zuul, owned by Adrienne Phelps of Marengo
• Second Runner-up: Lord Nelson, the First Sea Lord, owned by Martha Marsot of Keokuk
• Farthest from the Dog House: Linus the Love Bug, owned by Rebecca Richardson from Washington, Ill.
• Best Dressed: Deliylah Destiny Drake, owned by Tressa Yeggy of Des Moines
• Congeniality: Baby, owned by John Jacobson of Pleasant Hill
• Our Rescue Dog Recognition: Gracie, owned by Carolyn Hofer of Guttenberg
• The Porterhouse People’s Choice Award: Stanley, owned by Nick and Gina Costanzo of Polk City