PR, ad agency tours scheduled for April 8
Students can explore careers in public relations and advertising during tours and networking events on Friday, April 8.
The Drake chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) will celebrate PR Day on April 8. Agency tours will be held 8:30 a.m.-noon at Trilix, Strategic America and Two Rivers. A networking event with area professionals will be hosted from 6-8:30 p.m. at Smash Park. Students can attend both the tours and Smash Park, or one or the other, as their schedule allows. Any questions can be sent to email@example.com. Register for the events here. Ride sharing is available.
The American Advertising Federation (AAF) of Des Moines has also scheduled a daylong event for students on April 8. The event will run 9:30 a.m.-3 p.m., and includes advertising agency tours and lunch ($10). Register here. Professor Sandy Henry has created a Google Sheet to help facilitate ride sharing. Please post email addresses in the appropriate column to either offer a ride or find a ride, then reach out to each other as needed. Be sure to be logged in to Google Drive with your Drake account, as only those within Drake University can see this link.
Write for the Times-Delphic Relays edition
The Times-Delphic Relays edition is legendary: an annual 32-page version of the weekly newspaper that covers what’s going on during Relays and shows alumni what life on campus and in Des Moines is like these days. Stories cover everything from Relays events to profiles of people across campus. The T-D staff needs your help! Whether you have your own story idea to pitch or you just want to get involved, now is your time to make an impact. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Let your voices be heard
Drake first-year, senior and P2 students have an opportunity to provide feedback to the University through the National Survey of Student Engagement. You should have received an invitation to participate. Information from the survey is used to shape SJMC and University initiatives and program going forward.
SJMC T-shirts now available at the Bulldog Shop
In honor of the SJMC centennial, SJMC-branded T-shirts are now available at the Bulldog Shop, both on campus and online. Show your Drake SJMC pride on campus and around the world!
Register for SJMC alumni reunion
Alumni are encouraged to gather their friends for our delayed SJMC centennial celebration on Saturday, April 30, 5-8 p.m. in Meredith Hall: https://alumni.drake.edu/sjmc-relays-reunion. Advance registration is encouraged; see who is going to attend! Tickets cost $20 and include alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, heavy hors d’oeuvres, music and fun. A short program at 6 p.m. will include toasts to current and former SJMC faculty and staff.
Current students: Contact Dean Kathleen Richardson to volunteer at the party to help with registration and logistics. It’s a great way to celebrate the School and network with alums.
Professor Snider teaching spring workshops
Drake SJMC Professor Chris Snider is teaching three digital media workshops this spring for Drake alumni and members of the community.
April 20: Personal branding workshop through Drake University Continuing Education. Sign up here.
May 6: Photoshop workshop at Drake University. Sign up here.
May 11: Using TikTok, Instagram and Reels workshop at Drake University. Sign up here.
Professional logo contest
Career Professionals of Iowa (CPI) is looking to rebrand, so it is hosting a logo design contest.
CPI is a network of educators, employers, students and organizations that are committed to the development and promotion of internship and career opportunities for students in Iowa or surrounding states. More information about CPI can be found on the CPI website.
- Prefer a 2-color design and sans serif fonts, but open to all ideas
- Currently use black, white and green on the CPI website, but logo colors are up to the discretion of the designer
- CPI can change the website colors, font and design to coordinate with the new logo
- Logo must incorporate “CPI” or “Career Professionals of Iowa”
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student (graduating April 2022 or later) at a higher education institution in the state of Iowa to participate in this contest
Deadline and submission:
- Please submit 1-3 logo ideas (JPEG, PDF or EPS) to email@example.com by May 20, 2022.
- Include the designer’s name, name of educational institution, email address and any additional information the designer would like to provide about the designs.
- By submitting designs, designers grant Career Professionals of Iowa the free and unlimited use and rights to the submitted logo designs; designers will not receive any royalties for the logos associated with this logo contest. However, this is a great way to create new pieces for a design portfolio or acquire project experience for a resume.
Reward and Recognition:
- The winning designer will receive a $100 gift card.
- The winning logo design will be revealed at the CPI Conference on July 15 at the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, IA. The designer is invited to attend the conference to be publicly recognized, but conference attendance is not required for submission.
Science reporting fellowship for early-career journalists
Journalism students and recent alumni are encouraged to apply for the Sharon Begley-STAT Science Reporting Fellowship, which will begin accepting applications on March 28 for the 2022-23 program. This fall, STAT will welcome two fellows, and the program will be a year long and paid. The Begley fellowship was created, in concert with the Knight Science Journalism program at MIT, to honor the legacy of Sharon Begley, a renowned science writer who died in January 2021. STAT seeks to nurture up-and-coming reporters, and especially reporters of color.
Have a news item for the Memo?
The SJMC Monday Memo (and other days of the week as needed) is a newsletter to keep members of the wider SJMC community updated on School news, achievements, events and opportunities. If you have an item for the Memo, please send it to Dean Kathleen Richardson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or SJMC webmaster and multimedia professor Chris Snider (email@example.com). SJMC alums and other professionals can also subscribe to the Monday Memo via email here: http://eepurl.com/bPNbxn