“The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world.”
“With rare exceptions, all of your most important achievements on this planet will come from working with others — or, in a word, partnership.”
— Dr. Paul Farmer, physician, humanitarian and champion of global health equity (1959-2022)
“Be Limitless Career Conference”
Join Drake Professional and Career Services for a virtual career conference that celebrates being limitless and authentically you in the pursuit of your goals.
The event will be held virtually on Friday, March 4 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. and features speakers from around the country. With the focus on inspiring you to be limitless, the conference is relevant for all majors, first-year students to grad students.
- Keynote speaker Christen Brandt, author and She’s the First co-founder will walk you through the process of creating your own impact plan, finding your North Star, and avoiding the biggest mistakes in social change.
- Hear about career journeys and engage with professionals on a variety of topics on which you can learn today and practice tomorrow!
- Get guidance on how jumpstart your career, live authentically, and be confident in a professional setting.
- Practical tips on how to be limitless in a changing work culture and tips to navigate burnout and reduce stress.
- Sessions will be interactive to provide students with the chance to engage and network with presenters!
- Build your True Blue Skills (career competencies)!
- Conference registration link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/be-limitless-career-conference-2022-tickets-266364291767
- Full conference details: www.drake.edu/careerconference/
Two Rivers Marketing offers strategic communications internship
Two Rivers Marketing is offering a summer internship in Des Moines. More information on this public relations position can be found here.
Applications open for Drake’s “Working Worldwide”
Drake’s Working Worldwide program gives recent graduates the opportunity to work overseas for a year. Applications are now being accepted for spring 2022 grads through April 1. More information can be found on the program website or from education abroad coordinator Nathan Jacobson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Information sessions will be held throughout March. The first virtual session will be on March 3 at noon, and the first in-person session will be held in Meredith 103 on March 7 at 4 p.m. More sessions will be added to the campus calendar throughout March.
Cowles Library exhibit highlights Black suffragists
“Toward a Universal Suffrage: African American Women in Iowa and the Vote for All,” an exhibit that celebrates the role of Iowa’s Black female leaders in obtaining the right to vote, will be displayed in the Cowles Library Reading Room until March 7.
SJMC alums Abby Delaney, JO’13, and Sarah Mowery, MCL’16, were among local professionals honored by the Des Moines Business Record as 2022 “40 Under 40” emerging leaders. Abby is Assistant Vice President, Corporate Communications Officer, for Bankers Trust. Sarah is Director of Development for ChildServe.
Emily Abbas, JO’97, MCL’09, Senior Vice President, Chief Consumer Banking and Marketing Officer at Bankers Trust, has helped launch a podcast to lift up local nonprofits and their leaders. Listen to her conversations with Des Moines community leaders at BankersTrust.com/CommunityDifferenceMakers.
Crystal Everett, JO’10, was featured in the most recent Voices of Drake profiles. Everett serves as the manager of career and technical education for Kansas City Public Schools.
Have a news item for the Memo?
The SJMC Monday Memo (and other days of the week as needed) is a newsletter to keep members of the wider SJMC community updated on School news, achievements, events and opportunities. If you have an item for the Memo, please send it to Dean Kathleen Richardson (email@example.com) or SJMC webmaster and multimedia professor Chris Snider (firstname.lastname@example.org). SJMC alums and other professionals can also subscribe to the Monday Memo via email here: http://eepurl.com/bPNbxn