The ensemble has recorded five CDs over the last seven years, with more to come with the addition of a 32-track recording studio at the Mainstay.
Drake University Jazz Ensemble One, the University’s premier jazz band, will perform a free concert at 8 p.m. Tuesday, May 5, in the Performing Arts Hall of the Harmon Fine Arts Center, 25th Street and Carpenter Avenue.
Jazz Ensemble One is under the direction of Andrew Classen, the inaugural holder of the Fred and Patty Turner professorship in jazz, which was established last fall with a $1 million gift from Drake alumnus Fred Turner.
Tuesday’s program includes a wide array of jazz, including:
- “Sister Sadie,” arranged by Michael Abene
- “Dark Side of the Moon” by Andrew Classen
- “Kickin’ and Screamin'” by Chuck Owen
- “Channel One Suite” by Bill Reddie
- “Friend Like Me,” arranged by Bill Liston
- “Loved One” by Antonio J. Garcia
- “Maynard and Waynard,” arranged by Gordon Goodwin
- “Reverence” by John Clayton
Drake Jazz Ensemble One has performed across the United States and in Europe over the last seven years, including appearances at:
- The University of Wisconsin Eau-Claire Jazz festival, where Jazz Ensemble One has been named Outstanding College Jazz Ensemble five times (1996,1997, 2000, 2003, 2006)
- The Notre Dame Jazz Festival, where members of Jazz Ensemble One received 23 outstanding soloist awards
- The Elmhurst Jazz Festival
- The University of Kansas Jazz Festival, where Jazz Ensemble One performed as the featured college Jazz Ensemble
- The Montreaux Jazz Festival in Switzerland
- The North Sea Jazz Festival in the Netherlands, where Jazz Ensemble One performed four times, more than any college jazz ensemble
Jazz Ensemble One also has had the opportunity to work and perform with such distinguished artists as Wayne Bergeron, Maria Schneider, David Berger, Paul McKee, Dick Oatts, John McNeil and Ryan Kisor.
The ensemble has recorded five CDs over the last seven years, with many more to come with the addition of a 32-track recording studio at the Mainstay, the jazz departments dedicated rehearsal facility. Listen to recordings by Drake Jazz Ensemble One on the Drake Web site.