To see more photos of students painting the bulldogs, go to www.drake.edu/gallery and click on “Bulldog Parade.”
Student artists and Drake First Lady Madeleine Maxwell spent the week before spring break crafting canine masterpieces for the new Bulldog Parade. The bulldogs will be unveiled at the annual Blitz Day Picnic the afternoon of Thursday, April 12, just in time for the 98th running of the Drake Relays.
Similar to the popular Cows on Parade public art display in Chicago, the Bulldog Parade will feature seven 50-pound fiberglass canines artistically adorned in a variety of styles — from the sleek black coat, metal studs and handkerchief-clad head of Maxwell’s bulldog to the signature-covered dog sponsored by Drake’s Student Senate and Student Activities Board. The Drake National Alumni Association also sponsored a dog, covered with nostalgic photographs.
After the initial presentation of the new litter of Drake Bulldogs at Blitz Day, the pups will stand guard at different locations around campus. Drake Student Body President Lauren Smith said the goal is to expand the Bulldog Parade to a community-wide effort for the 100th running of the Drake Relays in 2009. To see a photo gallery of students painting the bulldogs, follow the link.
After Blitz Day, the Drake campus will be fired up for the annual frenzy of Relays events. A complete schedule of non-athletics events — both on campus and in downtown Des Moines — follows:
• Blitz Day Picnic: Thursday, April 12, 4 to 7 p.m., Helmick Commons.
• Mud Volleyball: Sunday, April 15, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mud lot by Carpenter parking lot.
• Street Painting: Saturday, April 21, 1 to 4 p.m., Painted Walk.
• Relays Parade: Sunday, April 22, 3 to 5 p.m., Drake campus. The deadline to register for the parade is Friday, April 6. For more information, call 515-271-3910 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with “parade” in the subject line.
• Beautiful Bulldog Contest: Monday, April 23, noon to 1 p.m., Nollen Plaza, downtown Des Moines.
• Hypnotist: Monday, April 23, 9 to 11 p.m., Parents Hall.
• Fake Relays: Tuesday, April 24, noon to 1 p.m., Nollen Plaza, downtown Des Moines. Des Moines celebrities and corporate personalities will race for the honor of having their company claim the title of Fake Relay Champion at this annual event hosted by the Young Professionals Connection.
• Skywalk Challenge: Wednesday, April 25, noon to 1 p.m., Nollen Plaza, downtown Des Moines. This is the inaugural year of this skywalk event. Grand prize for the winning teams will be valued at more than $1,000 in gifts and Drake Relays tickets. To register, call 515-271-1946.
• Drake Relays After Hours: Wednesday, April 25, 5 to 8 p.m., Iowa Hall of Pride.
• Carnival: Wednesday, April 25, 4 to 7 p.m., Helmick Commons/Olmsted Center.
• Elite Women’s High Jump: Thursday, April 26, noon to 1 p.m., Nollen Plaza, downtown Des Moines.
• Foam Dance Party: Thursday, April 26, 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., Olmsted Terrace Patio.
• Court Avenue Celebration: Friday, April 27, 7 p.m. to 2 a.m., downtown Des Moines. Ten downtown bars and restaurants will participate in this annual party, with performances by Public Property, Phase Two, Floodplane, DJ Johnny Utah, Mr. Baber’s Neighbors, Yetti Blüz Band, DJ John Huffman, Spouse with Milkwar and Tom Thumb, among others. Bands will perform under a tent located just west of the Court Avenue Brewing Company and at High Life Lounge, Court Avenue Brewing Company, Royal Mile, Java Joe’s, Johnny’s Hall of Fame, Liar’s Club, Buzzard Billy’s, The Lift, Vaudeville Mews and Hessen Haus.
• Step Show: Saturday, April 28: 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., Parents Hall.
For more information and a schedule of athletic events, visit www.drakerelays.org.