Drake students win 10 College Media Association awards
Drake student work was honored with 10 Pinnacle awards, including six first-place honors, at this weekend's College Media Association contest in Atlanta.
Two of the top three student magazines in the country were produced by Drake students: Drake Magazine won first place for magazine of the year and The Annual won third place. Drake students also won the top two awards for general news story and first-place awards for podcast, photo portrait and profile story. Drake Magazine and The Annual are extracurricular activities published by the University’s Board of Student Communications; Urban Plains is a multimedia website produced by the SJMC news, magazine and electronic media majors as their senior capstone.
- Best four-year magazine, first place — Drake Magazine
- Best four-year magazine, third place — The Annual
- Best magazine cover, first place — Drake Magazine
- Best podcast, first place — Urban Plains
- Best photo portrait, first place — Drake Magazine
- Best profile, first place — Urban Plains
- Best general news story, first place — Drake Magazine
- Best general news story, second place — Urban Plains
- Best Multimedia News Story, second place — Urban Plains
- Best Online Main Page, third Place — Urban Plains
PR senior wins cross country championship
Public Relations senior Reed Fisher won the Missouri Valley Conference cross country championship on Saturday in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Congratulations, Reed!
Greater Des Moines Partnership hosting career fair and networking event
The Greater Des Moines Partnership is hosting a career fair on Thursday, Nov. 3, from 2:30-5:00 p.m. at the Olmsted Center. Immediately following the career fair is a networking reception until 7 p.m. with beverages and heavy appetizers. Both events are free to attend.
Confirmed Employers: (more to come)
- Wellmark BCBS
- Wells Fargo
- University of Iowa
- GuideOne Insurance
- Leepfrog Technology
- Remedy Staffing
- Federal Home Loan Bank of Des Moines
- DES Employment
- UTC Aerospace Systems
- Combined Insurance
- Greater Des Moines Partnership
- Veridian Credit Union
- MidAmerican Energy
- Midwest Professional Staffing
- Bankers Trust
- Drake University
- UnityPoint Health
- State of Iowa
- Mid-Iowa Council, Boy Scouts of America
Law School groups holding Social Justice Town Hall
A Social Justice Town Hall will be held at Drake Law School on Thursday, Nov. 3, at 5 p.m. in Room 206 of Cartwright Hall. The town hall is being supported by several student groups, including the OUTLaws student LGTBQ group, the Drake Black Law Students Association, the Drake Hispanic and Latino Student Association, the Drake Law Democrats, the Student Bar Association, the Public Interest Law Association, and Drake One Voice.
Confirmed panelists include:
- Des Moines Mayor Frank Cownie
- Lieutenant Lillie Sams of the City of Des Moines Police Department
- Donna Red Wing, Executive Director of One Iowa
- Joshua Barr, Director of the Des Moines Civil and Human Rights Commission
- Louis Foundation, Community Activist and founder of FountainOne Consulting LLC.
The discussion will revolve around social justice issues specifically related to marginalized groups, including the LGBTQ community and people of color, and racial disparities in the Iowa criminal justice system.
NPR host Krista Tippett meeting with students
Krista Tippett, the award-winning host of public radio's "On Being" program, will meet with students in an informal Q&A session on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 3-4 p.m. in Sussman Theater in the Olmsted Center. Tippett will later deliver the University's Bucksbaum distinguished lecture in the Knapp Center at 7 p.m. Both events are free.
Check out Drake Media Gigs
Looking for a job or internship for next spring or summer? Check out the Drake Media Gigs for the latest employment, scholarship and career development news.
Drake alumni won multiple awards at the recent Upper Midwest Emmy ceremony: Amy Schmelzer, Shelby Brink, Heidi Gojkovich and Anthony Pisut, KCCI News 8 This Morning, KCCI News 8 at 10:00; Zach Tecklenburg, KSTP 5 Eyewitness News at 10:00; Laurel Bower Burgmaier, Deb (Sutherland) Herbold, Phong Duong, IPTV Documentary; Peter Zemansky, KMSP PSA campaign.
Tamra Strentz, public relations alumna and executive vice president at Edelman, recently received a Platinum SABRE Award for best PR program in the world last year. Her team's REI #optoutside campaign was named the best out of more than 5,000 entries.