This year’s Drake Day at the Iowa State Fair will begin and end on a high note. Show-stopping musical performances book-end Drake University's annual celebration of students, alumni, faculty, and friends, scheduled for Friday, Aug. 12.
Student a capella group The Brocal Chords’ performance of the Star-Spangled Banner will broadcast across the Fairgrounds at 10 a.m. Grand Avenue Ruckus, an alumni-led New Orleans-style brass band, will perform in Drake’s tent along Grand Avenue, the major high-traffic thoroughfare alongside the Grandstand, from 3-4 p.m.
Other programming scheduled for the Drake tent includes:
- Selfies with student-athletes (all day);
- President Marty Martin from 11 a.m. to noon. (meet-and-greet)
- Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad, a 1974 Drake Law School alumnus, from 2 to 2:30 p.m. (meet-and-greet)
- Appearance by Drake’s costumed mascot, Spike, from 3 to 5 p.m.;
- Free wellness screenings by students in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (all day)
- Special Drake Day at the Fair Snapchat filter
Can’t make it on Drake Day? Visit us in the Varied Industries building throughout the fair to learn more about Drake, to reconnect with your alma mater, or to grab a first-ever Griff on a Stick, an athletics poster, a temporary tattoo, and more.
Share your fair experience using hashtag #DrakeISF.