Drake faculty, staff, and students were recognized at the annual Experiential Learning Showcase this spring. The purpose of the showcase is to highlight student experiential learning activities that have been conducted throughout the academic year, as well as recognize faculty, staff, and community partners that have made the opportunities possible. Activities include classroom-based experiences, community engagement experiences, service-learning activities, and co-curricular activities.
"Experiential learning is a part of the fabric of a Drake University education—it fosters meeting our mission through collaborative learning and elements of engaged citizenship,” says Mandi McReynolds, director of community engagement and service learning. “Recognizing faculty, staff, students, and community partners allows Drake to honor those dedicated to providing an exceptional learning environment.”
The following awards were given at the showcase:
• Exceptional Experiential Learning Faculty Award: Russell Lovell, professor of law
• Exceptional Experiential Learning Staff Award: Annique Kiel, assistant director of Drake’s Administered Programs Abroad
• Exceptional Experiential Learning Individual Student Award: Cody Samec
• Exceptional Experiential Learning Student Group Award: English Independent Study: Bridging Culture Through Writing, Dana Swanson, Loan Nguyen, Stephanie Parks, and Paige Stickle
• Exceptional Experiential Learning Community Partner Award: Everybody Wins! Iowa
• Campus Compact Newman Civic Fellow Award: Hector Salamanca Arroyo
• Olson Outstanding Global Service-Learning Faculty/Staff Award: David Courard-Hauri, associate professor and chair of environmental science and policy
• Olson Outstanding Global Service-Learning Student Award: Dana Swanson
For more information on the award winners, contact Mandi McReynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-271-2338.