MEDIA CONTACT: Lisa Lacher, 515-271-3119, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Drake Neighborhood Farmers' Market on Wednesday, Aug. 12, will hold a collection for the Des Moines Area Religious Council's Emergency Food Pantry. Market goers can donate produce, baked goods, canned and boxed meals, or cash.
Free entertainment also will be provided with music from 5-6:30 p.m. by local band Jerry and the Moonlighters.
A free craft table will be available for kids who want to decorate a pencil holder with market friend Karla Rice.
Children also can participate in the Kids' Veggie Toss Game where they can win a prize for hitting a garden target with a veggie bean bag.
In addition, Planned Parenthood will be present to provide information about a program offering free birth control and exams for a year. They also will be available to talk about reproductive health care issues and family planning services.
The market will be open from 4 to 7 p.m. every Wednesday through Sept. 30 in the parking lot of First Christian Church, 2500 University Ave. Free parking is available for shoppers across from the market on the east side of 25th Street.
More than 20 vendors will offer Iowa-grown produce, baked goods, snacks, meals, sandwiches and crafts. Four vendors will have wireless equipment to accept bank debit cards, VISA, Discover and MasterCard credit cards, as well as Electronic Benefit Transfer cards.
IFMNP/WIC checks and Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition checks are welcome at the market.
Entertainment will be provided weekly, as well as educational and informative guests. The market has a health tent, where free blood pressure checks and blood sugar tests will be available every week.
The market is a nonprofit, community project sponsored by First Christian Church, the Drake Neighborhood Association and Drake University. For more information, call Ginny Gieseke at 515-277-6951 or visit the market's Web site.
Upcoming market events will include:
• Free Books for Kids -- the Drake University School of Education will provide free books for all children who stop by
• For Your Health -- learn about the Senior Companion Program offered by Visiting Nurse Services
• Free face painting and tattoos
• Entertainment provided by Jerry & the Moonlighters, 5-6:30 p.m.
• For Your Health – talk with representatives from L.U.N.A., which provides 24-hour crisis intervention, legal immigration advocacy and ongoing support to immigrant victims of domestic violence
• Kids' Veggie Toss Game