Sandy Hatfield Clubb, Renae Chesnut and Donald V. Adams gather at center court for the award presentation.
Drake University professor Renae Chesnut recently received the Donald V. Adams "Spirit of Drake" Award for her commitment to students, athletics and the University.
The award was presented to Chesnut, associate professor of pharmacy practice and associate dean for academic and student affairs in the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, at halftime during last week's men's basketball game against Creighton University.
She has served for the last eight years as faculty athletic representative to the NCAA, Missouri Valley Conference Intercollegiate Athletic Council.
Chesnut, a resident of Johnston, holds a B.S. in pharmacy, an M.B.A. and a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), all from Drake.
"Renae demonstrates everything it means to be a true Drake Bulldog," said Mark Kostek, assistant athletic director for Bulldog Club Annual Fund and special events. "She embraces the principles of a student-centered learning environment, and strives to make Drake students her top priority at all times."
The "Spirit of Drake" Award was named after Adams, who has demonstrated and defined the spirit of Drake University. He has served as an administrator, mentor, role model, leader, adviser, teacher and friend, to countless students, faculty and staff at Drake.
In honor of his leadership, Drake presents the award annually to a faculty or staff member who exemplifies the true spirit of the institution.
Past award winners are:
- Wanda Everage, vice provost for student affairs and academic excellence
- Mary Edrington, assistant professor of marketing
- David Wright, associate professor of journalism and associate dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Deneen Dygert, associate director of admission
- Drake President David Maxwell
- LouAnn Simpson, professor of business law and director of the School of Accounting
- Mike Cigelman, associate athletic director of facilities and director of recreational services
- Jean Berger, former associate athletic director