JOURNALISM AND TIMES-DELPHIC ALUMNI TO REUNITE OCT. 24-25
Remember the days when you spent more time in Meredith Hall than in your dorm room? Remember the satisfaction of completing an edition of the Times-Delphic, Drake Magazine, a Relays broadcast or a capstone public relations or advertising campaign?
If you recall pulling all-nighters to crank out journalism projects…if names like Woodward, Patrick, Francois, Lytle, Prijatel, Evans, Wolter, Strentz, Foskit, Menke and Wright inspire powerful memories…and if your journalism classmates and/or Times-Delphic colleagues remain some of the most interesting people you’ve known…this is a reunion for you!
All alumni of Drake’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication and all former staff of the Times-Delphic (regardless of academic major) are invited to attend this special reunion. Reunion activities include:
Friday, Oct. 24
- 7 p.m.: Informal reception at the home of Kathleen Richardson, 3917 Maquoketa Drive, Des Moines, just west of the Drake campus. Heavy hors d'oevres and drinks. Kathleen Richardson, JO’76, GR’01, LW’02, is director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and assistant professor in the school.
- 9 p.m.: Comedy performance by Kevin Biggins, Olmsted Center. Kevin Biggins, JO’01, is executive assistant for Fox TV’s “Family Guy” and staff writer for its new spin-off, “The Cleveland Show.”
Saturday, October 25
- 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Complimentary continental breakfast, Meredith Hall.
- 10-11 a.m.: Tours of Meredith Hall, featuring journalism faculty, students and their work. Find out what it’s like to be a Drake journalism student today, visit the new Kragie Newell Media Lab, and enjoy the high-quality work of students and faculty.
- Noon: Lunch and presentation of the Journalism Alumni of the Year Award, Cowles Library Reading Room (second floor). Featured guests also will include Drake President David Maxwell and Charles Edwards, dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and the College of Business and Public Administration. $20 per person.
- 1:30 p.m.: Panel discussion, Meredith Hall 106. Explore issues and trends in the media and journalism education in this age of information, misinformation and hyper-information. Panelists will include Tracy Baim, JO’84, publisher and executive editor, Windy City Media Group, Inc.; Peter Barber, JO’81, vice president, account director, DDB Chicago; Kevin Biggins, JO’01, executive assistant for Fox TV’s “Family Guy” and staff writer for “The Cleveland Show”; Tom Hallman, JO’77, Pulitzer Prize-winning senior writer and reporter, The Oregonian; Kevin Waetke, JO’86, communications manager, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage; and Joe Wiesenfelder, JO’89, senior producer, Cars.com.
- 7 p.m.: Social reception for all Journalism and Times-Delphic alumni and guests, Cub Club, Principal Park, One Line Drive (south of downtown Des Moines off Third Street). Hors d'oeuvres and cash bar.
Call 515-271-3077 for more information. A block of rooms has been reserved for the School of Journalism / Times-Delphic Alumni reunion at the Drury Inn and Suites, 5505 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines, for the evenings of Oct. 24 and 25. To make your reservations, visit the Web site or call 515-457-9500. Tell them you're attending the Drake Journalism Reunion, group number 2041630.
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION SEEKS NOMINATIONS FOR 2009 ALUMNI AWARDS
Do you know a School of Education alum who has made a tremendous impact? Nominate him or her for one of the 2009 SOE Alumni Awards! The awards will be presented during a dinner Tuesday, Feb. 24, 2009.
Nominees may be teachers, administrators, counselors, public servants and/or friends of the SOE. They should be people who have displayed extraordinary service to their students, clients, the SOE and/or have been outstanding advocates for education.
Nominations can be made by anyone and are due by writing or e-mail by Friday, Nov. 21, 2008. Letters of nomination should explain why the nominee deserves this honor, indicate the award category (teacher, administrator, counselor or other) and contain contact information for the nominator.
Nominations should be directed to:
Tracy Bainter, marketing coordinator
Drake University School of Education
3206 University Avenue
Des Moines, Iowa 50311
For more information, contact 515-271-2183 or email@example.com.
PLAN TO ATTEND THE ALL GREEK REUNION DURING RELAYS
The All Greek Reunion will be held Saturday, April 25, 2009, from 4-8 p.m. in conjunction with the 100th running of the Drake Relays.
Please watch your mail for more details to come. Additional information is available online.
For more information, contact Jonathan Brendemuehl, JO ‘08, assistant director for Alumni & Parent Programs, 515-271-3935, firstname.lastname@example.org
WORLD FOOD PRIZE PRESIDENT TO SPEAK AT DRAKE LUNCH
Kenneth M. Quinn, president of the World Food Prize Foundation, will conclude Drake University's fall "Let's DU Lunch" series with a talk on Wednesday, Nov. 5.
The luncheon will start with networking at 11:30 a.m., followed by lunch and the program at noon at inPlay, 615 Third St. "Let's DU Lunch" is sponsored by the Drake University Central Iowa Alumni Chapter and the Greater Des Moines Partnership.
Quinn is a former U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Cambodia. He received the Secretary of State's Award for Heroism and Valor for his efforts to protect American citizens exposed to danger in Cambodia as well as the four life saving rescues in which he participated in Vietnam.
In January 2000, Quinn assumed leadership of the World Food Prize Foundation after his retirement from the State Department. He is the only foreign service officer to have won the American Foreign Service Association Award for intellectual courage in challenging policy three times.
In addition, he received the Department of Defense Award for Distinguished Civilian Service, a Treasury Department Award for the arrest of an international counterfeiter and terrorist and the Presidential Distinguished Service Award, the highest recognition accorded career State Department officers.
Cost is $17 per lunch. Reservations are recommended due to limited seating.
For more information or to make a reservation, contact the Drake Office of Alumni and Parent Programs at 515-271-2500 or email@example.com.