Drake University Head Football Coach Chris Creighton will kick off Drake's fall “Let’s DU Lunch” series on Wednesday Sept. 10.
This year's series, which is free and open to the public, will be held at a new location: inPlay, a family entertainment venue and conference center at 615 Third St.
The luncheons will start with networking at 11:30 a.m., followed by lunch and the program at noon. “Let’s DU Lunch” is sponsored by the Drake University Central Iowa Alumni Chapter and Greater Des Moines Partnership.
Creighton, who was named the 25th head football coach at Drake last December, will share his vision for Drake football and give an update on the season. At that point, the Bulldogs will have played Upper Iowa and Lehigh.
Creighton compiled a 63-15 record as head coach at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Ind., with teams winning four North Coast Athletic Conference championships, while competing in three NCAA Division III playoffs. In his 11 years as head coach, he has an overall record of 95-24, including a 32-9 mark as head coach at Ottawa University.
The luncheon series will continue on Wednesday, Oct. 1, with a speech by Des Moines Register Publisher Laura Hollingsworth and Executive Editor Carolyn Washburn. Kenneth Quinn, president of the World Food Prize Foundation, will conclude the fall series on Wednesday, Nov. 5.
Cost is $17 per lunch or $42 for all three luncheons. Reservations are recommended due to limited seating.
For more information or to make a reservation, contact the Drake Office of Alumni and Parent Programs at 515-271-3848 or email@example.com.
Come home to tailgate
Drake alumni and friends are invited to celebrate Homecoming with the pre-game tailgate picnic on Saturday, Sept. 27, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the North Plaza of Drake Stadium. Then cheer the mighty Bulldogs under new Head Coach Chris Creighton as they tackle the San Diego Toreros.
Mascot Spike, the cheer squad and members of the Drake Marching Band will add to the merriment as we applaud alumni from the University's 1945 Raisin Bowl and 1948 Salad Bowl teams.
The cost is $15 per person for the picnic and $11 per person for the game. You must have a game ticket to attend the tailgate. Please RSVP for the picnic by Sept. 19 by calling 515-271-3147; order your game tickets by calling 515-271-DOGS.
Journalism and Times-Delphic alumni, reunite -- Oct. 24-25
Remember the days when you spent more time in Meredith Hall than in your dorm room? Remember the satisfaction of completing an edition of the Times-Delphic, Drake Magazine, a Relays broadcast or a capstone public relations or advertising campaign?
If you recall pulling all-nighters to crank out journalism projects…if names like Woodward, Patrick, Francois, Lytle, Prijatel, Evans, Wolter, Strentz, Foskit, Menke and Wright inspire powerful memories…and if your journalism classmates and/or Times-Delphic colleagues remain some of the most interesting people you've known…this is a reunion for you!
All alumni of Drake's School of Journalism and Mass Communication and all former staff of the Times-Delphic (regardless of academic major) are invited to attend this special reunion. Reunion activities include:
Friday, Oct. 24
• 7 p.m.: Informal reception at the home of Kathleen Richardson, 3917 Maquoketa Drive, Des Moines, just west of the Drake campus. Heavy hors d'oevres and drinks. Kathleen Richardson, JO'76, GR'01, LW'02, is director of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and assistant professor in the school.
• 9 p.m.: Comedy performance by Kevin Biggins, Pomerantz Stage, Olmsted Center (main floor). Kevin Biggins, JO'01, is executive assistant for Fox TV's "Family Guy" and staff writer for its new spin-off, "The Cleveland Show."
Saturday, October 25
• 9:30-10:30 a.m.: Complimentary continental breakfast, Meredith Hall.
• 10-11 a.m.: Tours of Meredith Hall, featuring journalism faculty, students and their work. Find out what it's like to be a Drake journalism student today, visit the new Kragie Newell Media Lab and enjoy the high-quality work of students and faculty.
• Noon: Lunch and presentation of the Journalism Alumni of the Year Award, Cowles Library Reading Room (second floor). Featured guests also will include Drake President David Maxwell and Charles Edwards, dean of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication and the College of Business and Public Administration. $20 per person.
• 1:30 p.m.: Panel discussion, Meredith Hall 106. Explore issues and trends in the media and journalism education in this age of information, misinformation and hyper-information. Panelists will include Tracy Baim, JO'84, publisher and executive editor, Windy City Media Group, Inc.; Peter Barber, JO'81, vice president, account director, DDB Chicago; Kevin Biggins, JO'01, executive assistant for Fox TV's "Family Guy" and staff writer for "The Cleveland Show"; Tom Hallman, JO'77, Pulitzer Prize-winning senior writer and reporter, The Oregonian; Kevin Waetke, JO'86, communications manager, Wells Fargo Home Mortgage; and Joe Wiesenfelder, JO'89, senior producer, Cars.com.
• 7 p.m.: Social reception for all Journalism and Times-Delphic alumni and guests, Cub Club, Principal Park, One Line Drive (south of downtown Des Moines off Third Street). Hors d'oeuvres and cash bar.
Reunion invitations are being mailed, or call 515-271-3077 for more information. A block of rooms has been reserved for the School of Journalism/Times-Delphic Alumni reunion at the Drury Inn & Suites, 5505 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines, for the evenings of Oct. 24 and 25. To make your reservations, visit the Web site or call 515-457-9500. Tell them you're attending the Drake Journalism Reunion, group number 2041630. Please make your reservation by Tuesday, Sept. 23, to receive the group rate of $74 per night.